At Gatewell, we’re strong proponents of the intuitive eating and “all foods fit” philosophies. That’s why we were thrilled when our in-house registered dietitian, Christine Tellez, shared this easy recipe. Christine’s Taco Meat recipe kicks off a series of easy recipes featuring Latin-American cuisine, in honor of Hispanic Heritage month. So many ingredients associated with Latin-American cooking have gotten a bad rap recently in our current carb-fearing climate. We’re here to take back the beans, the corn, the rice, the tortillas, and to help you develop a healthy, pleasurable, and sustainable relationship with food.
Easy Taco Meat Filling (serves 4-6)
This easy recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. By adding beans and mushrooms to the mix, we increase the fiber and add in some extra flavor as well. This makes a good amount of leftovers and can be added as a quesadilla filling, served over rice, greens, and even sweet potatoes. Add your favorite toppings to make it a delicious, balanced meal.
Taco Seasoning Packet or Your Own taco seasoning
¾ c water
1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or even soy crumbles
1 8 oz. carton of portabello or white mushrooms
½-1 can black or red beans
½ an onion (optional)
- Dice your ½ onion and mushroom and set aside.
- Heat pan on medium and add canola oil and diced onions once oil is hot. (Skip this step if you are not using onion.)
- Add in ground meat of choice and cook for a few minutes. Then add in mushrooms. Cook until meat is browned.
- Add in taco seasoning mix, water, and beans.
- Turn down heat and simmer until water is soaked up.
- Serve in a tortilla, over rice, add to a quesadilla, on greens, or over a sweet potato. Top with sour cream, avocado, guacamole, salsa, tomatoes, and other toppings that you love.
Happy National Taco Day – enjoy!